The LumberWorksForums

Sawmill & Lumber Forums, Built by Sawyers & Woodworkers for Woodworkers & Sawyers. Got Questions? Get Answers. Got Answers Post them to help Others. Pictures Welcome.
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:17 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 5 hours

Welcome
<strong>Welcome to The LumberworksForums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join the LumberWorks community today! We have many good folks and plenty of useful information inside.</a></strong>

Post subject: Homemade Tooth Setter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:57 pm 

Have thanks: 2 time
Here is my new tooth setter. It.s built on a piece of channel from a demolition. It is essentially complete except for the addition of two surplus dial indicators I recently acquired. They are not essential for the operation but I think they will be a nice touch. It sets 2 teeth at once. The lever on the right advances the blade by 3 teeth and the left lever sets the teeth. It works well and is fast.

Dave

Thats a GREAT looking setup for home made. How much time ya reckon ya got in it?. Looks very professional. It will look cool when ya get them gauge's on there. If it works well You just saved a butt load of money :lol: 8)
Dave Brown has been thanked by:

Post subject: Re: Homemade Tooth Setter
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:35 am 
Fabrication Guru/Sawyer

Have thanks: 40 time
I like it, Looks great, and you'll really like it when ya get the dials on there,, it is good to know just howm much your a pushin those teeth.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:51 pm 

Have thanks: 13 time
Nice job there Dave!!!

How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! And to get understanding is to be chosen above silver. Prov. 16:16

Understanding is a fountain of life to him who has it, Prov. 16:21

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:54 am 

Have thanks: 14 time
I'm impressed! Looks great. I have been pondering building one for the past 2 1/2 years now. I would be happy with a single tooth setter. I guess I need to get started on building one.

Very nice looking setter! Looks very well designed and built.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:34 pm 

Robert wrote:
I like it, Looks great, and you'll really like it when ya get the dials on there,, it is good to know just howm much your a pushin those teeth.

Got the dials installed. They work great. I set them up so that I can removed the blade and dial in set corrections with them. Much better than trying to eyeball the adjustments.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:26 am 
Fabrication Guru/Sawyer

Good Deal Dave...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:19 pm 

Dave Brown wrote:
Here is my new tooth setter. It.s built on a piece of channel from a demolition. It is essentially complete except for the addition of two surplus dial indicators I recently acquired. They are not essential for the operation but I think they will be a nice touch. It sets 2 teeth at once. The lever on the right advances the blade by 3 teeth and the left lever sets the teeth. It works well and is fast.

Dave

Thats a GREAT looking setup for home made. How much time ya reckon ya got in it?. Looks very professional. It will look cool when ya get them gauge's on there. If it works well You just saved a butt load of money :lol: 8)

I never kept track of the time. I worked on it off and on over a couple of years. Actual build time is probably about thirty hours. The gages took about an hour to put on. I set the up so that they measure the set over and by removing the blade I can dial in corrections to the punches. To do this I had to make a little finger that pushes the blade to the center of the channel when it advanced. I built it to mount on the stand of my Dino sharpener. Over all I am very pleased with it.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:36 pm 
Fabrication Guru/Sawyer

I Like it,, It is certainly more of s simpler design then my Cooks Catsclaw,, and not near as hard to move,, I like the chain link there on the cam handle

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 5 hours